My Photo
Name:
Location: Waterville, Maine, United States

I have an awesome son Chad and daughter Jessie and live in a secluded log cabin with my best friend Chopper the Rottie. I own and manage a powersports dealership.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Damage



The disassembly was straight forward. The only specialty tools needed were a couple 90 degree thin wall box end wrenches to access the cylinder nuts behind the pushrod tubes. The entire process took a day. The time could have been reduced had I not photographed everything I handled. I found two bad pistons and a .010 undersized crankshaft which measured at service limits on one crank pin. This was the immediately obvious damage but not the least of it I am sure. It would not be worth overhauling this engine with a crankshaft already at service limit. I began my search to locate a rare 8-bolt crank. Having eventually secured a core crank to machine, I packaged the rods, crankcases and camshaft and shipped to Nicksons Machine shop to perform the nessesary reconditioning and inspections.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home